Re: mfd-dm355evm_msp: One function call less in add_child() after error detection

From: SF Markus Elfring
Date: Tue Jan 12 2016 - 07:20:45 EST

> The subject format is wrong

Which format do you expect?

> and the summary itself isn't very informative.

Which wording do you find more useful?

>> From: Markus Elfring <elfring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 13:56:42 +0100
>
> This patch format is wrong,

You might find the use of additional fields in the message body unusual.
I have got an other impression from the canonical patch format.

> please consider using `git format-patch` and `git send-email`.

Thanks for your suggestion.

>> The platform_device_put() function was called in one case by the
>> add_child() function during error handling even if the passed
>> variable "pdev" contained a null pointer.
>>
>> Implementation details could be improved by the adjustment of jump targets
>> according to the Linux coding style convention.

I am going to integrate the source code changes that you requested a bit later.

>> +report_failure:
>> + dev_err(&client->dev, "can't add %s dev\n", name);
>
> This isn't a very friendly error message. Better to convert the
> dev_dbg() calls to dev_err() and tell the user what the problem was.

Which information display would be more appropriate here?

Regards,
Markus