Re: crashblk: a block device crash emulator.

From: Takashi HOSHINO
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 01:45:40 EST

Hi Andreas,

On 2016/01/15 4:44, Andreas Dilger wrote:
On Jan 13, 2016, at 6:50 PM, Takashi HOSHINO <hoshino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm developing 'crashblk'.
It is a memory block device driver to emulate crash, IO error,
and various response time.

Why not use/improve dm-flakey for this, rather than making yet another
device that does something similar?

I did not know dm-flakey until your reply. Thank you.

I read its documents and code a bit.
The big purpose of two projects are the same, which is to test software on block devices with errors, but their functions are almost different.

It may be nice idea to implement alternative implementation of crashblk on device-mapper version by someone.
Currently I'm not familiar with device-mapper development, and I do not have any motivation with it.

Thanks, Takashi

Cheers, Andreas

The source code repository is here:
https://github.com/starpos/crashblk/

It is very useful to test wrapper block device drivers,
and must be useful to test filesystems also.
I used it to test WalB (https://walb-linux.github.io/),
which is a wrapper block device driver for backup and asynchronous
replication, and found/confirmed several bugs.

If you are interested in crashblk, try it and give me feedback!
Thank you.

Takashi