Re: gianfar: Delete unnecessary variable initialisations in gfar_ethflow_to_filer_table()

From: SF Markus Elfring
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 12:15:34 EST

>>> This is a write only variable. We can just remove it.
>>
>> Can a static source code analysis tool like the software "http://smatch.sourceforge.net/";
>> detect that such a variable is not read by this function implementation so far?
>
> No,

I imagine that there are a few tools available which can point such update candidates out.
There are various software development challenges to consider.

> but a human can.

Some software developers and source code reviewers are struggling with mentioned
implementation details as usual. Do they also wonder how the discussed variable assignment
was left over in a specific function?

> I am going to be honest, and say that I am completely ignoring most of
> your static checker patches.

I am curious if you would reconsider the affected source code places once more
when you will be notified about related issues by other tools or persons.

> You don't put enough care and consideration into them,

Would you like to explain this impression a bit more?

> and I really don't have time to waste on looking at something like that.

Thanks for your feedback.

Various open issues are competing for our attention as usual.

Regards,
Markus