Re: [RFC] perf record: missing buildid for callstack modules

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 14:49:25 EST

Em Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 10:58:48AM -0800, Stephane Eranian escreveu:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 05:59:48PM -0800, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> >> Peter,

> >> There is no padding here. Are you concerned about running out of bits
> >> in filename_len?
> >
> > No, I just made a mess of it :-)
> >
> > filename_len should have been u16 and filename should then be 6+8n in
> > size.
> >
> why don't you make it more explicit:
> u16 filename_len
> u16 extra_len

> then it would be clear what is what, no field with dual meaning.
> Now, that assumes that no pathname can be longer than 65535 bytes.

There is no requirement for the filename to start at a u64 boundary,
right? So it can start right after the filename_len, be it u16 or u32,
and that extra_len can be computed as Peter described right here:

> >> Any extension possible because header.size - sizeof(mmap3) -
> >> filename_len sizing what's after filename, right?

So, no need to have that extra_len :-)

Ah PATH_MAX is 4096, so I guess u16 should be enough, no?

- Arnaldo