Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/17] perf tools: Add support for hierachy view (v2)

From: Taeung Song
Date: Wed Jan 20 2016 - 02:50:07 EST

On 01/20/2016 09:34 AM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 05:59:41PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
Em Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 01:03:00AM +0900, Namhyung Kim escreveu:
Hello,

This is v2 attempt of my earlier patchset [1]. This patchset
implements a new feature that collects hist entries in a hierachical
manner. That means lower-level entries belong to an upper-level
entry. The entry hierachy is built on the sort keys given, so users
can set it whatever they want. It only shows top-level entries first,
and user can expand/collapse it dynamically.

This time I implemented it for every output browser including TUI.
A screenshot on TUI looks like below:

For normal output:

$ perf report --tui
Samples: 3K of event 'cycles:pp', Event count (approx.): 1695979674
Overhead Command Shared Object Symbol
- 7.57% swapper [kernel.vmlinux] [k] intel_idle
intel_idle
cpuidle_enter_state
cpuidle_enter
call_cpuidle
+ cpu_startup_entry
+ 1.16 firefox firefox [.] 0x00000000000019433
+ 0.97% firefox libpthread-2.22.so [.] pthread_mutex_lock

With hierarchy view,

Ok, tested, this is really nice, I think it should be the default, from
where to drill down, we could have a '--no-hierarchy', Ingo?

Yeah, we already have --no-hierarchy (as a side effect of having
--hierarchy) but I don't want to change the default now since existing
users will complain. Now we have 'tips' in the perf report browser,
maybe it's enough to add a line to suggest to use it (and it's already
done by this patchset). I remember the time we changed default for
'--children' and many people complained about it.

We maybe change the default later but I think it's better to have some
time to people can play with it and find it useful. :) And, as always,
we can have a config option to control the default.

If adding this config option,
can this be included in 'hist' section ?
If it isn't, 'report' and 'top' section ?
i.e.

[report]
hierarchy = true
[top]
hierarchy = false

Thanks,
Taeung

Btw, do you think it's worth adding a short option (-H) for
--hierarchy (instead of making it default)?

Thanks,
Namhyung

I'll took a quick look patch by patch, seems ok, will try to look deeper
to get this merged soon,

keep up the great work!