Re: [Intel-gfx] [Announcement] 2015-Q4 release of XenGT - a Mediated Graphics Passthrough Solution from Intel

From: Jike Song
Date: Wed Jan 27 2016 - 01:21:00 EST

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce another update of Intel GVT-g for Xen.

Intel GVT-g is a full GPU virtualization solution with mediated pass-through, starting from 4th generation Intel Core(TM) processors with Intel Graphics processors. A virtual GPU instance is maintained for each VM, with part of performance critical resources directly assigned. The capability of running native graphics driver inside a VM, without hypervisor intervention in performance critical paths, achieves a good balance among performance, feature, and sharing capability. Xen is currently supported on Intel Processor Graphics (a.k.a. XenGT).

Repositories
-------------------------

Kernel: https://github.com/01org/igvtg-kernel (2015q4-4.2.0 branch)
Xen: https://github.com/01org/igvtg-xen (2015q4-4.5 branch)
Qemu: https://github.com/01org/igvtg-qemu (xengt_public2015q4 branch)

This update consists of:

- 6th generation Intel Core Processor (code name: Skylake) is preliminarily supported in this release. Users could start run multiple Windows / Linux virtual machines simultaneously, and switch display among them.
- Backward compatibility support 4th generation Intel Core Processor (code name: Haswell) and 5th generation Intel Core Processor (code name: Broadwell).
- Kernel update from drm-intel 3.18.0 to drm-intel 4.2.0.

Known issues:
- At least 2GB memory is suggested for a VM to run most 3D workloads.
- Keymap might be incorrect in guest. Config file may need to explicitly specify "keymap='en-us'". Although it looks like the default value, earlier we saw the problem of wrong keymap code if it is not explicitly set.
- Cannot move mouse pointer smoothly in guest by default launched by VNC mode. Configuration file need to explicitly specify "usb=1" to enable a USB bus, and "usbdevice='tablet'" to add pointer device using absolute coordinates.
- Running heavy 3D workloads in multiple guests for couple of hours may cause stability issue.
- There are still stability issues on Skylake

Next update will be around early April, 2016.

GVT-g project portal: https://01.org/igvt-g

More information about background, architecture and others about Intel GVT-g, can be found at:

https://01.org/igvt-g
https://www.usenix.org/conference/atc14/technical-sessions/presentation/tian
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/XenGT-Xen%20Summit-v7_0.pdf
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/XenGT-Xen%20Summit-REWRITE%203RD%20v4.pdf
https://01.org/xen/blogs/srclarkx/2013/graphics-virtualization-xengt

Note: The XenGT project should be considered a work in progress. As such it is not a complete product nor should it be considered one. Extra care should be taken when testing and configuring a system to use the XenGT project.

--
Thanks,
Jike