Re: [RFC][BUG] tracer: Fails to work

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Thu Jan 28 2016 - 09:38:32 EST

----- On Jan 28, 2016, at 8:57 AM, Peter Zijlstra peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 01:38:00PM +0000, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>
>> Thoughts ?
>
> So ideally dumping the trace data would not depend on any of that,
> because I can break it all :-)
>
> Not being able to access the trace data completely and utterly defeats
> the purpose of having a tracer in the first place.

One item I have on my todo list is to allow mapping
the tracer buffers (lttng in my case) onto RAM that
persists across reboots/kexec using dax and the pmem
driver. Since the original system is clearly inactive
after a reboot, we can read the buffers from memory
without caring about synchronization.

That would be one possible way of handling your
snapshot-of-buggy-kernel-trace-buffers use-case.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers