Re: arm qemu test failures due to 'driver-core: platform: probe of-devices only using list of compatibles'

From: Uwe Kleine-König
Date: Mon Feb 15 2016 - 04:14:41 EST

Hello Russell,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 08:58:18AM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 09:17:50AM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > >
> > > Your expectation is wrong. AMBA primecell devices have hardware IDs
> > > and are matched to their drivers by those IDs. Just like PCI.
> >
> > pci devices don't appear in dt, do they? I don't see the connection
> > between amba devices and platform devices, see my other mail in this
> > thread for some more details.
>
> They both have hardware IDs, and they are both matched via those hardware
> IDs.

I changed platform_match which is about matching by dt compatible, acpi
and/or device name. I don't see how this can affect an amba device given
they match to a driver by a hardware id.

> Your change has introduced a regression and is therefore wrong.

I'd like to understand though why and how my commit is wrong to be able
to fix it instead of getting it reverted.

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |