Re: Idea for reducing sysfs memory usage

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Tue Feb 16 2016 - 18:55:10 EST

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:46:49PM +0000, Edward Cree wrote:
> Sorry if this has been suggested before, but if so I couldn't find it.
> Short version: could a sysfs dir reference a list of default attributes
> rather than having to instantiate them all?

Shorter version, why do you think it is? :)

Have you done some testing of the amount of memory that sysfs entries
consume and found any problems with it? Remember, a s390 system with
20000 disks works just fine with a very little memory footprint, a lot
of work has gone into making sysfs consume tiny amounts of memory.

thanks,

greg k-h