Re: Overlapping ioremap() calls, set_memory_*() semantics

From: Toshi Kani
Date: Fri Mar 04 2016 - 12:26:03 EST

On Fri, 2016-03-04 at 10:44 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > At kernel summit, during the semantics of ioremap() session, Paul
> > mentioned we'd write something up to help get some notes out on what
> > we need to do and help clarify things. I've run into an issue (just a
> > warning) with a user on some odd system that I suspect may be the
> > result of a driver using overlapping ioremap() calls on conflicting
> > memory regions, so I'm a bit interested to see a resolution to some of
> > these lingering discussions now.
> >
> > Although we spoke of quite a bit of things, I raised in particular the
> > 'semantics of overlapping ioremap()' calls as one item of interest we
> > should address across architectures. At least on x86 it seems we would
> > not get an error if this is done and in fact its expected behavior;
> > Toshi had determined we could not enable error'ing out on overlapping
> > ioremap() calls given we have a few users that use it intentionally,
> > for instance the /dev/mem setup code. I had suggested long ago then
> > that one possible resolution was for us to add an API that *enables*
> > overlapping ioremap() calls, and only use it on select locations in
> > the kernel. This means we only have to convert a few users to that
> > call to white list such semantics, and by default we'd disable
> > overlapping calls. To kick things off -- is this strategy agreeable
> > for all other architectures?
>
> So I'd say that since ioremap() in itself is fragile enough, we should
> work towards eliminating overlapping ranges.
>
> The thing is, the whole vmap_area logic is based around non-overlapping
> ranges, sorted into the vmap_area_root rbtree.
>
> Just check the logic in mm/vmalloc.c::alloc_vmap_area(): it's based on
> finding holes in the kernel-virtual allocations. 'Overlapping ranges' is
> very much not part of that logic, at least to my understanding.
>
> How are overlapping ioremap()s even possible with that logic? The
> allocator searches for holes, not allowing for overlaps. What am I
> missing?
>
> Could you outline a specific case where it's done intentionally - and the
> purpose behind that intention?

The term "overlapping" is a bit misleading. ÂThis is "alias" mapping -- a
physical address range is mapped to multiple virtual address ranges. ÂThere
is no overlapping in VMA.

Such alias mappings are used by multiple modules. ÂFor instance, a PMEM
range is mapped to the kernel and user spaces. Â/dev/mem is another example
that creates a user space mapping to a physical address where other
mappings may already exist.

Hence, alias mapping itself is a supported use-case. ÂHowever, alias
mapping with different cache types is not as it causes undefined behavior.
ÂTherefore, PAT module protects from this case by tracking cache types used
for mapping physical ranges. ÂWhen a different cache type is requested,
is_new_memtype_allowed() checks if the request needs to be failed or can be
changed to the existing type.

I agree that the current implementation is fragile, and some interfaces
skip such check at all, ex.Âvm_insert_pfn().

> > The problem is that without this it remains up to the developer of the
> > driver to avoid overlapping calls, and a user may just get sporadic
> > errors if this happens.ÂÂAs another problem case, set_memor_*() will
> > not fail on MMIO even though set_memor_*() is designed only for RAM. If
> > the above strategy on avoiding overlapping is agreeable, could the next
> > step, or an orthogonal step be to error out on set_memory_*() on IO
> > memory?
>
> So how do drivers set up WC or WB MMIO areas? Does none of our upstream
> video drivers do that?

Drivers use ioremap family with a right cache type when mapping MMIO
ranges, ex. ioremap_wc(). ÂThey do not need to change the type to MMIO.
ÂRAM is different since it's already mapped with WB at boot-time.
Âset_memory_*() allows us to change the type from WB, and put it back to
WB.

Thanks,
-Toshi