RE: [Qemu-devel] [RFC qemu 0/4] A PV solution for live migration optimization

From: Li, Liang Z
Date: Mon Mar 07 2016 - 10:06:41 EST

> Cc: Roman Kagan; Dr. David Alan Gilbert; ehabkost@xxxxxxxxxx;
> kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; quintela@xxxxxxxxxx; linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
> qemu-devel@xxxxxxxxxx; linux-mm@xxxxxxxxx; amit.shah@xxxxxxxxxx;
> pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx; akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
> virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; rth@xxxxxxxxxxx; riel@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC qemu 0/4] A PV solution for live migration
> optimization

> > > in migration/ram.c.
> > >
> > > So if guest acknowledged VIRTIO_BALLOON_F_MUST_TELL_HOST, we
> can
> > > teach qemu to skip these pages.
> > > Want to write a patch to do this?
> > >

> > Yes, we really can teach qemu to skip these pages and it's not hard.
> > The problem is the poor performance, this PV solution
>
> Balloon is always PV. And do not call patches solutions please.

OK.

> > is aimed to make it more
> > efficient and reduce the performance impact on guest.
>
> We need to get a bit beyond this. You are making multiple changes, it seems
> to make sense to split it all up, and analyse each change separately. If you
> don't this patchset will be stuck: as you have seen people aren't convinced it
> actually helps with real workloads.

Really, changing the virtio spec must have good reasons.

> guest.
> > > free_page_bimap content.

> > > And the answer would depend on the answer to my question above.
> > > Does balloon need an interface passing page bitmaps around?
> >
> > Yes, I need a new interface.
>
> Possibly, but you will need to justify this at some level if you care about
> upstreaming your patches.
>
> > > Does this speed up any operations?
> >
> > No, a new interface will not speed up anything, but it is the easiest way to
> solve the compatibility issue.
>
> A bunch of new code is often easier to write than to figure out the old one,
> but if we keep piling it up we'll end up with an unmaintainable mess. So we
> are rather careful about adding new interfaces, and we try to make them
> generic sometimes even at cost of slight inefficiencies.
>
> > > OTOH what if you use the regular balloon interface with your patches?
> > >

> > The regular balloon interfaces have their specific function and I can't use
> them in my patches.
> > If using these regular interface, I have to do a lot of changes to keep the
> compatibility.
>
> Why can't you?
>
> What exactly do we need to change?
>
> If we put things in terms of the balloon, that supports adding and removing
> pages.
>
> Using these terms, let's enumerate:
> - a new method (e.g. new virtqueue) that adds and immediately removes
> page in a balloon
> clearly, you can add then remove using the existing interfaces
> is a single command significantly faster than using existing two vqs?
> - a new kind of request that says "add (and immediately remove?) as many
> pages as you can"
> sounds rather benign
> - a new kind of message that adds multiple pages using a bitmap
> (instead of an address list)
> again, is this significantly faster?

More of less faster because of less data traffic. I didn't measure this, I will do it and take a deep look
at the way you suggest if we choose to make use of the virtio-balloon interface.

> Does not look like compatibility is an issue, to me.
>

> At some level, your patches look like page hints.
> If we have more patches in mind that use page hints, then a new hint device
> might make sense.

Yes, I have ever considered to implement a new device, use the virtio-balloon to
transfer the free pages information which is irrelevant with the balloon mechanism
is some more or less confusing.

> However, people experimented with page hints in the past, so far this always
> went nowhere. E.g. I CC Rick who saw some problems when page hints
> interact with huge pages. Rick, could you elaborate please?

Thanks a lot. Can't wait to know the problems.

Liang