Re: Kernel docs: muddying the waters a bit

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Tue Mar 08 2016 - 10:39:38 EST

Em Tue, 8 Mar 2016 10:39:22 -0300
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Em Tue, 08 Mar 2016 05:13:13 -0700
> Dan Allen <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab <
> > mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > pandoc did a really crap job on the conversion. To convert this
> > > into something useful, we'll need to spend a lot of time, as it lost
> > > most of the cross-references, as they were defined via DocBook macros.
> > >

> > I agree pandoc creates crappy AsciiDoc. We have a much better converter in
> > the works called DocBookRx.
> >
> > https://github.com/opendevise/docbookrx
> >
> > It has converted several very serious DocBook documents and we're
> > continuing to improve it. It's also a lot easier to hack than pandoc.
>
> Didn't work:
>
> $ ./bin/docbookrx ~/devel/docbook_test/v4l2.xml
> No visitor defined for <part>! Skipping.
> No visitor defined for <part>! Skipping.
> No visitor defined for <part>! Skipping.
> No visitor defined for <part>! Skipping.
> No visitor defined for <appendixinfo>! Skipping.

I tried to use docbookrx for the bits that were not properly converted,
like the manpage-like pages:

$ ../docbookrx/bin/docbookrx Documentation/DocBook/media/v4l/func-ioctl.xml
No visitor defined for <refentry>! Skipping.

Dan, if you want to take a look on what's going wrong here,
the XML I'm trying to convert is:

https://git.linuxtv.org/media_tree.git/tree/Documentation/DocBook/media/v4l/func-ioctl.xml

If this would work, it should be generating something like:
https://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/asciidoc-poc.git/tree/func-ioctl.adoc

Pandoc failed to fully convert it, but at least it left all the texts,
with prevented rewriting it from scratch. This is the manual fix
I applied to it:
https://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/asciidoc-poc.git/commit/func-ioctl.adoc?id=801d336c3742f26731e08c284290c32c0b4632fc

FYI, we have 133 xml files at the media uAPI doc with refmeta.

--
Thanks,
Mauro