[PATCH v3 0/4] Support persistent memory as reserved type in e820/EFI
From: Toshi Kani
Date: Wed Mar 09 2016 - 13:54:38 EST
ACPI 6 defines persistent memory (PMEM) ranges in multiple
firmware interfaces, e820, EFI, and ACPI NFIT table. This EFI
change, however, leads to hit a bug in the grub bootloader, which
treats EFI_PERSISTENT_MEMORY type as regular memory and corrupts
stored user data .
Therefore, BIOS may set generic reserved type in e820 and EFI
to cover PMEM ranges. The kernel can initialize PMEM ranges
from ACPI NFIT table alone.
This scheme cause a problem in the iomem table, though. On x86,
for instance, e820_reserve_resources() initializes top-level entries
(iomem_resource.child) from the e820 table at early boot-time.
This creates "reserved" entry for a PMEM range, which does not allow
region_intersects() to check with PMEM type.
This patch-set adds remove_resource(), exports insert/remove_resource(),
and changes the NFIT driver to insert a PMEM entry to the iomem table.
- Patch 1 fixes __request_region() to handle inheritance of attribute
properly. This patch is independent from this series.
- Patch 2 adds remove_resource() interface.
- Patch 3 exports insert_resource() and remove_resource().
- Patch 4 changes the ACPI nfit driver to call insert_resource() to
insert a PMEM range from NFIT.
- Drop devm_insert/remove_resource(), and export insert/remove_resource().
- Change the NFIT driver to call insert_resource() to insert a PMEM entry
when necessary. (Dan Williams)
- The NFIT driver still needs to allow unloading. (Dan Williams)
This patch-set is based on the tip tree, which has the following patchset.
Toshi Kani (4):
1/4 resource: Change __request_region to inherit from immediate parent
2/4 resource: Add remove_resource interface
3/4 resource: Export insert_resource and remove_resource
4/4 ACPI: Change NFIT driver to insert new resource
drivers/acpi/nfit.c | 48 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
include/linux/ioport.h | 1 +
kernel/resource.c | 60 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
3 files changed, 101 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)