Re: [GIT PULL] RCU changes for v4.6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Mar 15 2016 - 12:58:27 EST

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Good point! I will send a pull of the documentation commits that do not
> involve Documentation/RCU/Design.

Note that I have no objections what-so-ever with the html in the
Design doc directory: I think using html and svg's to do the boxes and
things is fine. Using html and svg's because you can do better
graphics for showing real technical relationships is absolutely
*fine*.

What I object to is "cute". We had a cartoonish jpeg at some point
(maybe it's still there, I didn't check), and now the quizzes with the
html filtering and checking in both versions etc.

I think "cute" may well be fine for doing presentations etc.

But I don't think it's something we want in the kernel sources, and it
absolutely isn't when it adds big files (whether they be duplicate
info or jpeg's) or special non-standard file formats.

It ends up being actively detrimental to disseminating the
information, because of the conversion scripts, or because it's just
distracting.

Linus