Re: [BUG] packet loss with PROVE_LOCKING, bisected to EDAC fix

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Mar 22 2016 - 07:12:55 EST

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 09:16:56AM +0000, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
> Good question. The patch looks pretty innocuous but it is for a lockdep
> issue and the bug only appears when lockdep config options are enabled.
> Could it somehow have broken a lock used to synchronise packet rx?

How? EDAC and net don't have anything in common...

> Reverting over 4.5 does fix the packet loss issue.

Peter makes sense to me. If he's right, if you build a kernel with
CONFIG_EDAC=n and PROVE_LOCKING=y and do your test again, you should
be seeing that packet loss again... because EDAC with the fix won't be
there to disable lockdep.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.