Re: ARC dw-mshc binding compat string

From: Vladimir Zapolskiy
Date: Sat Mar 26 2016 - 13:53:07 EST

Hi Marek,

On 26.03.2016 19:30, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 03/26/2016 06:26 PM, Vladimir Zapolskiy wrote:
>> On 26.03.2016 12:14, Marek Vasut wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I noticed that arch/arc/boot/dts/axs10x_mb.dtsi uses "altr," prefix in
>>> the DT compatible string:
>>>
>>> mmc@0x15000 {
>>> compatible = "altr,socfpga-dw-mshc";
>>> reg = < 0x15000 0x400 >;
>>> num-slots = < 1 >;
>>> fifo-depth = < 16 >;
>>> card-detect-delay = < 200 >;
>>> clocks = <&apbclk>, <&mmcclk>;
>>> clock-names = "biu", "ciu";
>>> interrupts = < 7 >;
>>> bus-width = < 4 >;
>>> };
>>>
>>> I don't think this is OK, since ARC is unrelated to Altera, which is
>>> what the "altr," prefix stands for. I think the socfpga-dw-mshc shim
>>> should be extended with another compatibility string, something like
>>> "snps,arc-dw-mshc" and the axs10x_mb.dtsi should be adjusted
>>> accordingly. What do you think ?
>>>

>> There is "snps,dw-mshc" described in
>> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mmc/synopsys-dw-mshc.txt and supported by
>> dw_mmc host controller driver.
>
> Thanks, that's even better.
>
> btw what do you think of using altr, prefix on non-altera system, that
> doesn't seem ok, right ?

according to ePAPR the prefix should represent a device (IP block here
I believe) manufacturer, so it should be okay to use "altr" prefix on
non-Altera system, if Altera provides another hardware vendor with
some own IP block.

That said, I would rather prefer to see "snps,dw-mshc" prefix on description
of an MMC controller found on SoCFPGA series, "altr,socfpga-dw-mshc" seems
to be redundant.

--
With best wishes,
Vladimir