Re: [GIT PULL] f2fs updates for v4.6

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Sat Mar 26 2016 - 16:55:47 EST

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 01:48:23PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > BTW, as far as switching ext4 to use the shared code in fs/crypto ---
> > I'm hoping to get that done for the next merge window. There are a 2
> > or 3 patches to fix some recently discovered bugs that I'll need to
> > push into the fs/crypto code, but I'll take care of that for the next
> > development cycle.
>
> No worries. Considering this mistake (which happily seems to have an
> innocent explanation for it) it would be good to have it verified that
> the shared code does actually work for you, so that we don't end up in
> the unhappy situation that the code got split up in order to be
> shared, but some random detail choice then made it not actually work
> for ext4 after all..

Oh, for sure. One of the things I plan to do is to make sure that a
file system created using the *current* ext4 encryption code is
properly readable using the new fs/crypto code. I'll also run a full
regression test run using xfstests as well.

That's one of the reasons why I wasn't going to even try to get it
done for this merge window (even if you weren't going to be closing
the merge window tomorrow). I just didn't have the time to do a good
job, and it made sense to let the f2fs code go in first, and then
convert ext4 afterwards.

- Ted