Re: [PART1 RFC v3 02/12] KVM: x86: Introducing kvm_x86_ops VM init/uninit hooks

From: Suravee Suthikulpanit
Date: Tue Mar 29 2016 - 07:47:34 EST

Hi,

On 03/29/2016 05:21 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

On 29/03/2016 07:27, Suravee Suthikulpanit wrote:

Adding function pointers in struct kvm_x86_ops for processor-specific
layer to provide hooks for when KVM initialize and un-initialize VM.
This is not the only thing your patch is doing, and the "other" change
definitely needs a lot more explanation about why you did it and how you
audited the code to ensure that it is safe.

Paolo

Sorry, for not mentioning this earlier. I am moving the
kvm_arch_init_vm() call mainly to go after mutex_init(&kvm->slots_lock)
since I am calling the x86_set_memory_region() (which uses slots_lock)
in the vm_init() hooks (for AVIC initialization).

Lemme re-check if this would be safe for other code.

No problem. In the meanwhile a patch got in ("KVM: fix spin_lock_init
order on x86") that should help you.

Thanks,

Paolo

Right.... that's just what I need :) I'll re-base to the latest tip then.

Thanks,
Suravee