Re: arm:collie_defconfig broken since commit ff2b135922 ("gpio: make the gpiochip a real device")

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Thu Mar 31 2016 - 10:18:53 EST

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 03:26:49PM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 7:03 AM, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > arm:collie_defconfig is broken since commit ff2b135922 ("gpio: make the
> > gpiochip a real device").
>
> Oh I was worried that something like this would happen, but
> hoped we could find it in linux-next, oh well.

I didn't have collie_defconfig in my list of qemu tests since last weekend.
Shows that qemu boot tests _are_ valuable ;-).

Question is how to get to a real solution. I tried calling gpiolib_dev_init()
from gpiochip_add_data() if gpiolib was not initialized yet, but at least for
collie this doesn't work, presumably since gpiochip_add_data() is called too
early. I am currently looking into deferring device initialization from
gpiochip_add_data() until gpiolib_dev_init() was called, as suggested by
Alexandre.

Guenter