Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.8.1 (and call-for-help to "make rpmbuild" users)

From: Elia Pinto
Date: Tue Apr 05 2016 - 06:39:58 EST

> If you do not build RPM binary packages from our pristine source,
> you can safely ignore this release and stop reading this message.
>
> Now that the audience of this message has been limited to a narrow
> target, before I make an announcement, here is a call-for-help to
> you.
>
> Git v2.8 removed README file and added a corresponding README.md
> file. The change however did not adjust git.spec.in that still
> referred to README, causing "make rpmbuild" to fail. The breakage
> was not noticed by anybody who tested v2.8.0-rc0 and later release
> candidates, and ended up in the final v2.8 release, and we saw a
> handful of bug reports on the list after the release happened.
>
> This maintenance release is to correct this bug for those who run
> "make rpmbuild". It has no other changes.
>
> It is clear that nobody who relies on being able to "make rpmbuild"
> ever tried any of the 5 release candidate snapshots that happened
> during Feb 26-Mar 28. We had a whole month and nobody noticed?
>
> This incident clearly shows that something needs to happen, if
> people want "make rpmbuild" to keep working. Even though this
> maintenance release may fix this single bug, breakages similar to it
> that only affect "make rpmbuild" users are guaranteed to appear in
> future releases, unless those who can prevent them from happening
> start helping to test at least release candidate snapshots.
>
> It is even more preferrable if they can test the tip of 'next'
> branch regularly, in order to prevent such breakages from hitting
> the 'master' branch to be included in the next release, which is
> what the other parts of the system aims at.
>
> The other obvious option is for us to stop pretending that "make
> rpmbuild" does anything useful to do and drop the build target and
> the unmaintained git.spec.in file on which nobody in the active
> development community keeps eyes. I do not mean this as a threat
> "help us or else"; there is a precedent. We used to ship our own
> debian/rules and friends for those who wanted to debbuild from the
> source, but the Debian packagers wanted to have their own proper
> ones and ours ended up confusing the users, and we made the world
> a better place by removing our copy. If "make rpmbuild" people want
> us to take this route, that is also OK for us.
>
> So that's the call for help. Now to the announcement.

How old contributor to rpm5.org (as devzero2000) I have been following
these issues in the past.
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no one has ever come to a convergence
of views between the distros
that use rpm on the various differences.
Keeping for a project a spec file that then no distro uses (and i
think also a local sysadmin)
i do not think it is worth the effort.

http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-maint/2008-June/002185.html

IMHO