Re: Bug with paravirt ops and livepatches

From: Evgenii Shatokhin
Date: Tue Apr 05 2016 - 13:26:56 EST

05.04.2016 16:07, Miroslav Benes ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:

So I think this doesn't fix the problem. Dynamic relocations are
applied to the "patch module", whereas the above code deals with the
initialization order of the "patched module". This distinction
originally confused me as well, until Jessica set me straight.

Let me try to illustrate the problem with an example. Imagine you have
a patch module P which applies a patch to module M. P replaces M's
function F with a new function F', which uses paravirt ops.

1) Patch P is loaded before module M. P's new function F' has an
instruction which is patched by apply_paravirt(), even though the
patch hasn't been applied yet.

2) Module M is loaded. Before applying the patch, livepatch tries to
apply a klp_reloc to the instruction in F' which was already patched
by apply_paravirt() in step 1. This results in undefined behavior
because it tries to patch the original instruction but instead
patches the new paravirt instruction.

So the above patch makes no difference because the paravirt module

Hi,

we are trying really hard to understand the actual culprit here and as it
is quite confusing I have several questions/comments...

1. can you provide dynrela sections of the patch module from
https://github.com/dynup/kpatch/issues/580? What is interesting is that
kvm_arch_vm_ioctl() function contains rela records only for trivial (==
exported) symbols from the first look. The problem should be there only if
you want to patch a function which reference some paravirt_ops unexported
symbol. For that symbol dynrela should be created.

As far as I understand it, create-diff-object does not check if a symbol is exported or not when a patch for a module rather than for vmlinux is being prepared.

In such cases, it only checks if the referenced global symbol is defined somewhere in that module and if not, creates a dynrela for it.

The code is in kpatch_create_dynamic_rela_sections() from https://github.com/dynup/kpatch/blob/master/kpatch-build/create-diff-object.c.

2. I am almost 100 percent sure that the second problem Chris mentions in
github post is something different. If he patches only kvm_arch_vm_ioctl()
so that it calls his exported __kvm_arch_vm_ioctl() duplicate there is no
problem. Because it is a trivial livepatching case. There are no dynrelas
and no alternatives in the patch module. The crash is suspicious and we
have a problem somewhere. Chris, can you please provide more info about
that? That is how exactly you used kallsyms_lookup_name() and so on...

3. Now I'll try to explain what really happens here... because of 1. and
the way the alternatives and relocations are implemented the only
problematic case is when one wants to patch a module which introduces its
own alternatives. Which is probably the case of KVM. Why?

When alternative is used, the call to some pv_*_ops.function is placed
somewhere. The address of this location is stored in a separate elf
section and when apply_paravirt() is called it takes the address and
place the new code there (or it does not, it depends :)). When the
alternative is in some module and pv_*_ops is exported, which is the
usual case, there is no problem. No dynrela needs to be used when a user
wants to patch such function with the alternative.

The only problem is when the function uses unexported pv_*_ops (or some
other alternative symbol) from its own object file. When the user wants to
patch this one there is a need for dynrela.

So what really happens is that we load a patch module, we do not apply
our relocations but we do apply alternatives to the patch module, which is
problematic because there is a reference to something which is not yet
resolved (that is unexported pv_*_ops). When a patched module arrives we
happily resolve relocations but since we do not apply alternatives again
there is a rubbish in the patching code.

Is this all correct?

Jessica proposed some novel fixes here:

https://github.com/dynup/kpatch/issues/580#issuecomment-183001652

Yes, I think that fix should be the same we have for relocations. To
postpone the alternatives applications. Maybe it is even possible to do it
in a similar way. And yes on one hand it is gonna be ugly, on the other
hand it is gonna be consistent with relocations.

I think the *real* problem here (and one that we've seen before) is that
we have a feature which allows you to load a patch to a module before
module dependencies work. It has already given us several headaches and
it makes the livepatch code a lot more complex.

I really think we need to take another hard look about whether it's
really worth it. My current feeling is that it's not.

I can only say that maybe about 1/3 of kgraft patches we currently have
are for modules (1/3 is probably not correct but it is definitely
non-trivial number). It would be really unfortunate to load all the
to-be-patched modules when a patch module is applied.

This does not mean that we cannot solve it in another way as you propose
below. I have to think about it.

Miroslav

If we were able to get rid of that "feature", yes, the livepatch code
would be simpler, but there might be another awesome benefit: I suspect
we'd also be able to get rid of the need for specialized patch creation
tooling like kpatch-build. Instead I think we could just specify
klp_relocs info in the source code of the patch, and just use kbuild to
build the patch module. Not only would the livepatch code be simpler
(and much easier to wrap your head around), but the user space tooling
could be *vastly* simpler.

Of course, removing that feature might create some headaches for the
user. It is nice to be able to load a big cumulative patch without
having to load all the dependencies first. But maybe there are things
we could do to make the dependency problem more manageable. e.g.,
splitting up patch modules to be per-object? requiring the user to load
modules they don't need? patching or replacing the module on disk?
copying the new module to a new locaiton and telling modprobe where to
find it?

I don't have all the answers but I think we should take a hard look at
some of these other approaches.

--
Josh

Regards,