Re: Bug with paravirt ops and livepatches

From: Jessica Yu
Date: Wed Apr 06 2016 - 13:23:24 EST

+++ Miroslav Benes [06/04/16 10:43 +0200]:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016, Miroslav Benes wrote:

Anyway I see there are some new comments on github. I'll look at those.
But I'd prefer to discuss all the relevant things (that is kpatch
unspecific) here. It would make it easier.

And you do (after seeing dates of the posts there), sorry for the noise.

Jessica, I think I am perfectly fine with introducing some arch-specific
code because of this problem.

We used generic apply_relocate_add() because it was a single
arch-independent entry point. There is no such things for paravirt_ops,
alternatives, jump labels and such things. In fact only module_finalize()
is there and that is not enough. So some arch-specific code in livepatch
seems to be unnecessary.

Yeah, unfortunately that appears to be the case..Luckily I don't think
we need to add much code; the calls should be similar to the way we
call apply_relocate_add(), just pass in the right sections.

Jessica