Re: TCP reaching to maximum throughput after a long time

From: Ben Greear
Date: Tue Apr 12 2016 - 17:40:17 EST

On 04/12/2016 01:29 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 13:23 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

It worked well enough for years that I didn't even know other algorithms were
available. It was broken around 4.0 time, and I reported it to the list,
and no one seemed to really care enough to do anything about it. I changed
to reno and ignored the problem as well.

It is trivially easy to see the regression when using ath10k NIC, and from this email
thread, I guess other NICs have similar issues.

Since it is so trivial, why don't you start a bisection ?

I vaguely remember doing a bisect, but I can't find any email about
that, so maybe I didn't. At any rate, it is somewhere between 3.17 and 4.0.
From memory, it was between 3.19 and 4.0, but I am not certain of that.

Neil's suggestion, from the thread below, is that it was likely: "605ad7f tcp: refine TSO autosizing"

Here is previous email thread:

https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg80803.html

This one has a link to a pcap I made at the time:

https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg80890.html

I asked a capture, I did not say ' switch to Reno or whatever ', right ?

Guessing is nice, but investigating and fixing is better.

Do not assume that nothing can be done, please ?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>