Re: [RFC] DMA initialization for manually created devices

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Tue Apr 19 2016 - 08:14:14 EST

On Tue, 2016-04-19 at 14:38 +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> The reason for that I'm using a manually created platform_device and
> that misses dev->archdata which the underlying/parent PCI device has.

Typically we'd expect you to use the parent device for DMA, as in your
second option.

That said, we're exploring the option of moving the dma_ops to be a
first-class member of 'struct device' instead of hiding it in archdata,
and cleaning up the way that it gets initialised for newly-created
devices. And at that point we might end up letting it get inherited
from the parent so your original code *would* work... but I wouldn't
hold your breath for that.

Definitely *don't* mess around in archdata.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx Intel Corporation