Re: zram: per-cpu compression streams

From: Sergey Senozhatsky
Date: Wed Apr 27 2016 - 03:42:13 EST

Hello,

On (04/27/16 16:29), Minchan Kim wrote:
[..]
> > the test:
> >
> > -- 4 GB x86_64 box
> > -- zram 3GB, lzo
> > -- mem-hogger pre-faults 3GB of pages before the fio test
> > -- fio test has been modified to have 11% compression ratio (to increase the
> > chances of re-compressions)
>
> Could you test concurrent mem hogger with fio rather than pre-fault before fio test
> in next submit?

this test will not prove anything, unfortunately. I performed it;
and it's impossible to guarantee even remotely stable results.
mem-hogger process can spend on pre-fault from 41 to 81 seconds;
so I'm quite sceptical about the actual value of this test.

> > considering buffer_compress_percentage=11, the box was under somewhat
> > heavy pressure.
> >
> > now, the results
>
> Yeb, Even, recompression case is fater than old but want to see more heavy memory
> pressure case and the ratio I mentioned above.

I did quite heavy testing over the last 7 days, with numerous OOM kills
and OOM panics.

-ss