Re: [RFC v2 5/8] drm/fence: add in-fences support

From: Rob Clark
Date: Thu Apr 28 2016 - 17:28:31 EST

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 2:39 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 01:48:02PM -0700, Greg Hackmann wrote:

>> >The hw composer interface is one in-fence per plane. That's really the
>> >major reason why the kernel interface is built to match. And I really
>> >don't think we should diverge just because we have a slight different
>> >color preference ;-)
>> >
>> >As long as you end up with a pile of fences somehow it'll work.
>> >-Daniel
>> >

>> The relationship between layers and fences is only fuzzy and indirect
>> though. The relationship is really between the buffer you're displaying on
>> that layer, and the fence representing the work done to render into that
>> buffer. SurfaceFlinger just happens to bundle them together inside the same
>> struct hwc_layer_1 as an API convenience.
>>
>> Which is kind of splitting hairs as long as you have a 1-to-1 relationship
>> between layers and DRM planes. But that's not always the case.
>>
>> A (per-CRTC?) array of fences would be more flexible. And even in the cases
>> where you could make a 1-to-1 mapping between planes and fences, it's not
>> that much more work for userspace to assemble those fences into an array
>> anyway.
>
> I'm ok with an array too if that's what you folks prefer (it's meant to be
> used by you after all). I just don't want just 1 fence for the entire op,
> forcing userspace to first merge them all together. That seems silly.

I was kinda more a fan of array too, if for no other reason that to be
consistent w/ how out-fences work. (And using property just for
in-fence seemed slightly weird/abusive to me)

> One side-effect of that is that we'd also have to rework all the internal
> bits and move fences around in atomic. Which means change a pile of
> drivers. Not sure that's worth it, but I'd be ok either way really.

hmm, well we could keep the array per-plane (and if one layer is using
multiple planes, just list the same fd multiple times).. then it
mostly comes down to changes in the ioctl fxn itself.

BR,
-R