Re: pwm: atmel: PWM may not properly disable

From: Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
Date: Fri May 13 2016 - 07:15:08 EST

Hello,

<guille.rodriguez@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 01:49:12PM +0200, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I have found a problem while preparing this. If I use usleep_range I
>>> keep running
>>> into "BUG: scheduling while atomic". This is because I am using the PWM to
>>> drive a buzzer with pwm-beeper, and pwm-beeper currently crashes if the PWM
>>> driver sleeps. Apparently this patch is needed:
>>>
>>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/22/757
>>>
>>> However this has not been merged yet.
>>>
>>> How should I proceed ?
>>
>> The PWM API really shouldn't be used within atomic contexts. There was a
>> change recently that marked all of the PWM devices as "might sleep". The
>> reason for the change was that we introduced a mutex in pwm_enable() and
>> hence every user would have to deal with this eventually. That mutex has
>> since been removed again, but the fact remains that users shouldn't
>> assume that a PWM can be used in atomic context, because the PWM chip
>> could equally well be behind a slow bus such as I2C and hence sleep for
>> every register access.
>>
>> So the correct thing to do would be to follow what leds-pwm did and
>> implement a workqueue. Also might as well make it the only code path as
>> Dmitry suggested in the linked thread, I don't see any point in any kind
>> of fast path here.
>
> I understand. So I assume this pwm-beeper patch will be merged sooner
> or later.
>
> The reason why I was asking is that if I patch the Atmel PWM driver in
> order to use usleep_range in pwm_disable, then pwm-beeper will not work
> anymore on Atmel platforms until the pwm-beeper patch is merged.
> I was not sure about the status of the pwm-beeper patch (the last message
> in the linked thread is from March 30), hence my question.
>
> I'll go ahead with the Atmel PWM patch then.

I have just submitted a patch.

By the way, the following article in Atmel's KB indicates that writing
to PWM_DIS
is not enough for the channel to be effectively disabled -- the PWM_SR register
must be polled until the corresponding bit goes to 0.

It does not explicitly mention that the actual disabling happens at
the end of the
current period, although my tests seem to suggest that this is indeed the case.

http://atmel.force.com/support/articles/en_US/FAQ/Why-PWM-Channel-Polarity-Inversion

As mentioned in my previous mail, this patch fixes the disabling of PWM channels
in the Atmel PWM driver, but it immediately exposes the problem in pwm-beeper
when running on Atmel platforms (https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/22/757).

Best,