Re: [GIT PULL] EFI fix

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue May 17 2016 - 06:20:59 EST

* Matt Fleming <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May, at 10:04:34AM, Matt Fleming wrote:
> >
> > Now I'm wondering whether other users of FRAME_BEGIN/FRAME_END make
> > this same mistake. Coccinelle might be able to detect it perhaps.
>
> A quick bit of sed turned up the code in arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S,
> which looks to suffer from the same bug,

That would be arch/x86/entry/thunk_64.S, but yeah, good find!

> /* rdi: arg1 ... normal C conventions. rax is saved/restored. */
> .macro THUNK name, func, put_ret_addr_in_rdi=0
> .globl \name
> .type \name, @function
> \name:
> FRAME_BEGIN
>
> /* this one pushes 9 elems, the next one would be %rIP */
> pushq %rdi
> pushq %rsi
> pushq %rdx
> pushq %rcx
> pushq %rax
> pushq %r8
> pushq %r9
> pushq %r10
> pushq %r11
>
> .if \put_ret_addr_in_rdi
> /* 9*8(%rsp) is return addr on stack */
> movq 9*8(%rsp), %rdi
> .endif
>
> With CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y 9*8(%rsp) is actually the value of %rbp on
> entry, not the return address.

This seems to affect:

#ifdef CONFIG_TRACE_IRQFLAGS
THUNK trace_hardirqs_on_thunk,trace_hardirqs_on_caller,1
THUNK trace_hardirqs_off_thunk,trace_hardirqs_off_caller,1
#endif

and with TRACE_IRQFLAGS we already in most times force frame pointers, such as
when LOCKDEP is enabled:

config LOCKDEP
bool
depends on DEBUG_KERNEL && TRACE_IRQFLAGS_SUPPORT && STACKTRACE_SUPPORT && LOCKDEP_SUPPORT
select FRAME_POINTER if !MIPS && !PPC && !ARM_UNWIND && !S390 && !MICROBLAZE && !ARC && !SCORE

Also, unlike the efi_call() case, this thunk_64.S bug affects the quality of
debug/tracing information, not runtime correctness per se.

still all that is by accident, not by design - this bug should be fixed too.

Thanks,

Ingo