Re: [GIT PULL] Driver core update for 4.7-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat May 21 2016 - 02:26:24 EST

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is odd, I just tried this, and I don't get any error for
> drivers/rtc/rtc-ds1685.c, nor any drivers/rtc/ file.

Ok, the rtc one was different - it's due to the objtool checks. Not
related to the ISA issue.

The others (the "warning: cast to pointer from integer" ones) are all
due to ISA, afaik.

I actually tried to find a picture of a Racal NI6510 card just to show
you guys what kinds of drivers we're talking about that got enabled. I
found a google books snipet from PC mag 1993 instead.

That piece of old-timey engineering sold for $239 USD, and it lost in
a benchmark to an ne2000 card. We're talking 10MB ethernet only,
because this was before people used fast ethernet, and the competition
was still often 10base2/BNC.

We're talking stone-age technology. We really don't want to enable it.

Linus