Re: [BUG] Panic when systemd boot do mkdir on tmpfs mounted path with smack enabled environment

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri May 27 2016 - 15:01:14 EST

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 04:11:41PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
>> There is a fairly straightforward way to handle that - do to ->setxattr()
>> what we'd already done to ->getxattr(). See vfs.git#smack-fix. Warning:
>> it's only build-tested. I'm going to have it go through LTP and xfstests
>> shortly; _please_ check if it works on your setup, because I've no idea
>> how to put together a testing setup for smack.
>
> FWIW, that couple of commits seems to survive the testing here and is
> pretty obvious. I have _NOT_ tested it on smack setups, so I really want
> somebody (Casey or someone in Samsung) to check if it fixes the problem.
> The change itself isn't tricky, but I fucking _hate_ doing that this late
> in the merge window ;-/

Al, if you want Casey to help test, I think you should write out the
full git repository address, rather than just say "See
vfs.git#smack-fix".

Anybody who isn't used to pulling for you will just wonder where you
keep your tree. And even I, who _am_ used to pulling from you, would
have to look it up, so it's a lot more convenient if you actually
write out the whole thing,

Casey, Al is talking about

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs smack-fix

and Al, please make your commit messages more informative than just
"switch ->setxattr() to passing dentry and inode separately". You can
see that from the patch. Please add a _why_ something is done, not
just what it does.

Linus