Re: [GIT PULL] kbuild updates for v4.7-rc1

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Fri May 27 2016 - 17:37:17 EST

On Friday, May 27, 2016 1:20:29 PM CEST Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > In fact, the patch that I have in my private tree that was hiding the
> > warning for me on x86 is one that removes all instances of IS_ERR_VALUE()
> > with arguments other than 'unsigned long', see http://pastebin.com/uYa2mkgC
> > for reference.
>
> Please just send me that patch, we need to do this (and then add a
> cast to pointer (and back to unsigned long) in IS_ERR_VALUE() so that
> we get warnings for when that macro is mis-used.

Ok, I've tried to come up with a summary of what happened so far
on this, and sent the patch your way, leaving out the modified
IS_ERR_VALUE() definition for the moment.

I've added the people on Cc whose drivers had the most invasive
changes.

> I didn't look at the details of your patch, but I did look at several
> IS_ERR_VALUE() uses in the standard kernel, and they were basically
> all wrong.

Yes, that matches what we found earlier this year when Andrzej Hajda
did some work on fixing the worst problems he found.

Arnd