Re: Build regressions/improvements in v4.7-rc1

From: Rich Felker
Date: Wed Jun 01 2016 - 18:28:24 EST

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 06:18:02PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 09:34:07AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > + /home/kisskb/slave/src/arch/sh/kernel/setup.c: error: implicit declaration of function 'early_init_dt_scan' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]: => 256:2
> >
> > sh-randconfig
>
> Nice find. I think I'm incorrectly checking for CONFIG_OF in places
> that should actually be checking for CONFIG_OF_FLATTREE. Does that
> look right to you? Nothing breaks in actual configurations that make
> sense now, only if you enable OF manually without selecting
> SH_DEVICE_TREE as your board.
>
> If you can confirm that my assessment is correct I'll include a fix in
> my (now-late) pull request.

BTW it seems a bigger version of the same issue affects my J2 support
patch series: CONFIG_CPU_J2 enables code that performs an early FDT
scan to obtain cache information, so it needs to select OF and
OF_FLATTREE to avoid build errors. Eventually none of this will matter
once we drop legacy support and make it so SUPERH implies OF and
OF_EARLY_FLATTREE.

Rich