[PATCH v10 0/7] usb: add support for Intel dual role port mux
From: Lu Baolu
Date: Wed Jun 01 2016 - 21:37:51 EST
Intel SOC chips are featured with USB dual role. The host role
is provided by Intel xHCI IP, and the gadget role is provided
by IP from designware. Tablet platform designs always share a
single port for both host and gadget controllers. There is a
mux to switch the port to the right controller according to the
cable type. OS needs to provide the callback to control the mux
when a plug-in event raises. The method to control the mux is
platform dependent. At least three types of implementation can
be found across current devices. 1) GPIO pins; 2) a unit which
can be controlled by memory mapped registers; 3) ACPI ASL code.
This patch series adds supports for Intel dual role port mux.
(1) A generic framework for port mux devices. It exports interfaces
to register and unregister a port mux device. It also exports
an interface for the port mux consumers (e.x. PHY and charger
drivers) to switch the port role according to the events they
(2) Drivers for GPIO controlled port mux which could be found
on Baytrail devices. A mfd driver is used to split the GPIOs
into a USB gpio extcon device, a fixed regulator for gpio
controlled USB VCC, and a USB mux device. Driver for USB
gpio extcon device is already in upstream Linux. This patch
series includes a driver for GPIO USB mux.
(3) Drivers for USB port mux controlled through memory mapped
registers and the logic to create the mux device. This type
of dual role port mux could be found in Cherry Trail and
All patches have been verified on Intel's BayTrail, CherryTrail,
and Broxton P platforms.
Lu Baolu (7):
regulator: fixed: add support for ACPI interface
usb: mux: add generic code for dual role port mux
usb: mux: add driver for Intel gpio controlled port mux
usb: mux: add driver for Intel drcfg controlled port mux
mfd: intel_vuport: Add Intel virtual USB port MFD Driver
usb: pci-quirks: add Intel USB drcfg mux device
MAINTAINERS: add maintainer entry for Intel USB dual role mux drivers
- rebase the patch series on top of 4.7-rc1.
- Patch "mfd: intel_vuport: Add Intel virtual USB port MFD Driver"
has been ACK-ed by "Lee Jones <lee.jones@xxxxxxxxxx>".
- remove extcon dependency out of the generic mux code to support
systems which have multiple port muxes.
- Add dev.release for mux device, otherwise, the mux driver module
couldn't be removed.
- Use the refreshed device property interface updated in Commit (f4d0526
device property: don't bother the drivers with struct property_set)
- In patch "regulator: fixed: add support for ACPI interface", the
fixed regulator gpio name has been changed to "gpio".
- In patch "MAINTAINERS: add maintainer entry for Intel USB dual role
mux drivers", filenames have been updated.
- Two patches have been picked up by extcon maintainer. Hence,
remove them since this version.
- extcon: usb-gpio: add device binding for platform device
- extcon: usb-gpio: add support for ACPI gpio interface
- Below patch has been removed from this series because it's unnecessary.
- regulator: fixed: add device binding for platform device
- In patch "regulator: fixed: add support for ACPI interface",
a static gpio name is used to get the regulator gpio.
- In patch "mfd: intel_vuport: Add Intel virtual USB port MFD Driver",
unnecessary "gpio-name" string property has been removed.
Work internally with Felipe to improve the whole patch series.
Below changes have been made since last version.
- rework the common code to make it a generic interface for mux devices;
- split the vbus gpio handling to a fixed regulator device;
- removed unnecessary filtering for state change;
- removed unnecessary WARN statement;
- removed globals in mux drivers;
- removed unnecessary register polling and waiting in drcfg driver;
- Change the extcon interfaces with the new ones suggested by
2a9de9c0f08d6 (extcon: Use the unique id for external connector
instead of string)
- remove patch "usb: pci-quirks: add Intel USB drcfg mux device"
from this serial due to that it's not driver staff. Will be
- Check all patches with "checkpatch.pl --strict", and fix all
- Change sysfs node from "intel_mux" to "port_mux";
- Refines below confusing functions:
intel_usb_mux_register() -> intel_usb_mux_bind_cable()
intel_usb_mux_unregister() -> intel_usb_mux_unbind_cable();
- Remove unnecessary struct intel_mux_dev.
- uvport mfd driver got reviewed by Lee Jones, the following
changes were made accordingly.
- seperate uvport driver from the mux drivers in MAINTAINERS file
- refine the description in Kconfig
- refine the mfd_cell structure data
- move mux driver from drivers/usb/misc to drivers/usb/mux;
- replace debugfs with sysfs for user level mux control;
- remove unnecessary register restore if mux registeration failed;
- Add "Acked-by: Chanwoo Choi <cw00.choi@xxxxxxxxxxx>" to extcon changes;
- Make the file names and exported function names more specific;
- Remove the usb_mux_get_dev() interface;
- Move "struct intel_usb_mux" from .h to .c file;
- Fix various kbuild robot warnings.
Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-platform | 18 +++
MAINTAINERS | 10 ++
drivers/mfd/Kconfig | 8 ++
drivers/mfd/Makefile | 1 +
drivers/mfd/intel-vuport.c | 86 ++++++++++++
drivers/regulator/fixed.c | 46 ++++++
drivers/usb/Kconfig | 2 +
drivers/usb/Makefile | 1 +
drivers/usb/host/pci-quirks.c | 42 +++++-
drivers/usb/host/xhci-ext-caps.h | 2 +
drivers/usb/mux/Kconfig | 28 ++++
drivers/usb/mux/Makefile | 6 +
drivers/usb/mux/portmux-core.c | 202 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/usb/mux/portmux-intel-drcfg.c | 162 +++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/usb/mux/portmux-intel-gpio.c | 183 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
include/linux/usb/portmux.h | 90 ++++++++++++
16 files changed, 886 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
create mode 100644 drivers/mfd/intel-vuport.c
create mode 100644 drivers/usb/mux/Kconfig
create mode 100644 drivers/usb/mux/Makefile
create mode 100644 drivers/usb/mux/portmux-core.c
create mode 100644 drivers/usb/mux/portmux-intel-drcfg.c
create mode 100644 drivers/usb/mux/portmux-intel-gpio.c
create mode 100644 include/linux/usb/portmux.h