[PATCH v2] r8152: Add support for setting MAC to system's Auxiliary MAC address
From: Mario Limonciello
Date: Thu Jun 02 2016 - 12:59:01 EST
This adjusts a lot of concerns that have been raised on LKML.
Changes from v1:
* Lots of error checking around bad ACPI data
* Only activate on Dell system vendor DMI string
* Use hex2bin instead of inventing a wheel
* Copy MAC to both dev_addr and sa_data
* Track and set only for one NIC at a time
* If MAC lookup failed (bad ACPI data or bad return) fall back
to regular r8152 MAC setting routine.
This has been tested with TB15, WD15 docks and Dell P/N 96NP5 dongle.
It's also been tested with two devices that use r8152 simultaneously.
Remaining discussion points:
* Greg KH had asked this to only on machines that are known to have
- I would rather avoid doing this because the list will just grow every
year. I've added lots of error checking and restricted this to Dell.
* There was also a request to move this to an x86
- I haven't yet done this. If this is the right approach.
I would like to know the proper place in arch/x86 to put this code.
My initial thought was a new file in arch/x86/platform/intel
Mario Limonciello (1):
r8152: Add support for setting MAC to system's Auxiliary MAC address
drivers/net/usb/r8152.c | 53 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 file changed, 53 insertions(+)