Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for 4.7-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jun 11 2016 - 15:12:52 EST

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there some reason to believe that the qemu CD-ROM emulation is the
> only one with this problem?

Side note:the one thing that makes the qemu cd-rom emulator "special"
is not that it's not real hardware: it's that it's a lot more likely
to be tested than just about any other actual cd-rom out there,
especially in environments that test new kernels. Lots of developers
tend to have rather modern machines (and I haven't had a CD-ROM in my
machine for the last couple of years, I think), or alternatively they
end up booting things in emulation because it makes for easy testing.

So I really don't think that "oh, it happened only with a broken
emulated device" is a very strong argument for saying that that
emulated device was the problem.

I really think it's likely that the whole "require VPD" is garbage.
The whole "everybody and their dog has used qemu, and the qemu cd-rom
emulation worked perfectly fine before" is a damn strong argument that
it's the new kernel doing something wrong.

So please figure our what the real breakage was, and fix *that*
instead of blaming qemu.

Linus