Re: ktime_get_ts64() splat during resume

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Mon Jun 20 2016 - 08:22:43 EST

On Monday, June 20, 2016 04:17:13 PM chenyu wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Ok,
> >>
> >> bisect is done, full log below.
> >>
> >> Rafael, that fix
> >>
> >> 70595b479ce1 ("x86/power/64: Fix crash whan the hibernation code passes control to the image kernel")
> >>
> >> breaks s2disk here. It explodes during resume and a statically allocated
> >> struct's member is NULL. See
> >>
> >> https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20160617105435.GB15997@xxxxxxx
> >>
> >> for the splat and some debugging attempts.
> >>
> >> Reverting 70595b479ce1 fixes the issue here.
> >
> > Quite evidently, memory is corrupted in the image kernel, but this
> > particular commit only affects the boot kernel, so it can't really
> > corrupt anything in the image one.
> >
> In previous patch,
> before we jump to the new kernel entry, we add the
> text mapping to temp_level4_pgt,
>
> /* switch over to the temporary kernel text mapping */
> movq %r8, (%r9)
> If I understand correctly, r9 contains the virtual address
> of restore_pgd_addr, since the page table for restore_pgd_addr might be
> incoherent across hibernation(as NX patch changes the kernel text mapping
> to dynamically mapping), so we might write pmd entry to an incorrect place in
> temp_level4_pgt?

I'm not sure what you mean.

r9 contains the address previously stored in restore_pgd_addr. This is the
address of the cell in (the page pointed to by temp_level4_pgt) to write the
new pgd entry to.

Why do you think it may be incorrect?

In any case, the corruption reported by Boris also happens if all of the
assembly changes in commit 70595b479ce1 are reverted, in which case the code
should work as before that commit modulo some additional actions that
shouldn't matter. Those additional actions turn out to matter, though.

I'll write about that in detail shortly.

Thanks,
Rafael