Re: [QUESTION] Is there a better way to get ftrace dump on guest?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Tue Jun 28 2016 - 21:27:12 EST

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:57:41 +0900
Minchan Kim <minchan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 06:46:34PM +0200, Rabin Vincent wrote:

> > Assuming you're using QEMU:
> >
> > QEMU has a dump-guest-memory command which can be used to dump the
> > guest's entire memory to an ELF which can be loaded by the crash utility
> > to extract the trace buffer. This doesn't require kexec/kdump or any
> > other support from the guest kernel.
>
> Thanks for the hint. It's surely handy rather than kexec/kdump.
>
> A question is that it's possible to capture guest's entire memory
> when guest kernel is oops?
> I mean I don't want to capture alive guest but get snapshot image
> when guest kernel encounters BUG_ON and see event trace from the
> image.
>
> Anyway, I tried crashtool and load trace.so but failed to load
> extension module 'trace.so' because read_string failed in
> ftrace_get_event_type_name of trace.c.
> Does it work with recent kernel?
>
> My kernel is 4.7.0-rc4-mm1.

It probably needs another update. I usually send patches to David
Anderson for updates. Fujitsu started that work and was maintaining it
for a while, but I don't think they are anymore. I have no problem
maintaining the trace.so module.

If I get time tomorrow, I'll see if I can get it up to date again.

-- Steve