Re: [RFC] WireGuard: next generation secure network tunnel

From: Bruno Wolff III
Date: Wed Jun 29 2016 - 20:45:27 EST

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 16:49:18 +0200,
"Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Today I'm releasing WireGuard, an encrypted and authenticated
tunneling virtual interface for the kernel. It uses next-generation

I tried this out on 4.7 kernels and it seemed to work OK. I can't tell about security, but the packets made it to where they are going.

My eventual use case, is to be able to reach a machine behind NAT by going though a fixed machine in another location. The machine behind NAT will keep a tunnel usable by occasionally pinging through the tunnel to make sure that NAT has state information allowing packets to make it back and that the fixed machine knows where to send packets.

This seems much easier to use than ipsec and should be faster than tunnelling over ssh or openvpn.