Re: strange Mac OSX RST behavior

From: Jason Baron
Date: Fri Jul 01 2016 - 14:35:09 EST

On 07/01/2016 02:16 PM, One Thousand Gnomes wrote:
>> yes, we do in fact see a POLLRDHUP from the FIN in this case and
>> read of zero, but we still have more data to write to the socket, and
>> b/c the RST is dropped here, the socket stays in TIME_WAIT until
>> things eventually time out...
>
> After the FIN when you send/retransmit your next segment do you then get
> a valid RST back from the Mac end?
>
> Alan

No, we only get the single RST after the FIN from the Mac side which
is dropped. I would have expected the RST from the Mac after the
retransmits, but we don't see any further transmits from the Mac.
And the linux socket stays in CLOSE-WAIT (i mistakingly said
TIME_WAIT above).

For reference, I put the packet exchange in my initial mail.

Thanks,

-Jason