Re: [Query] Preemption (hogging) of the work handler

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Tue Jul 12 2016 - 09:56:55 EST

On Tue 2016-07-12 06:02:31, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> On 12-07-16, 14:24, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Monday, July 11, 2016 03:46:01 PM Viresh Kumar wrote:
> > > Yeah and I am not sure how should I go ahead about this issue now :)
> >
> > FWIW, I think the reason why the "synchronous printk" works is because after
> > disabling the non-boot CPU, the only remaining one disables local interrupts
> > and won't do any async work any more until resume.
>
> Right. After disabling interrupts, the other printk messages gets
> printed only after the system resumes. I am not that worried about
> printk not working after that point, but on how does asynchronous
> printing affect the system to crash or come to a complete hang?

Ah, I have missed that the hang happens only when you use the async
printk patchset.

I wonder if it is somehow related to the commit 8d91f8b15361dfb438ab
("printk: do cond_resched() between lines while outputting to
consoles"). A process (printk thread) might sleep with taken
console_sem. Then suspend_console() might be unable to
get the semaphore in console_lock() and might deadlock.

Does it help to enable "no_console_suspend" please?

Best Regards,
Petr