Re: [RFC 0/3] extend kexec_file_load system call

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Wed Jul 13 2016 - 09:26:25 EST

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 09:41:39AM +1000, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Petr Tesarik <ptesarik@xxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 13:25:11 -0300
> > Thiago Jung Bauermann <bauerman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Eric,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to understand your concerns leading to your nack. I hope you
> >> don't mind expanding your thoughts on them a bit.

> >> I don't understand how the kernel signature will be invalidated.
> >>
> >> There are some types of boot images that can embed a device tree blob in
> >> them, but the kernel can also be handed a separate device tree blob from
> >> firmware, the boot loader, or kexec. This latter case is what we are
> >> discussing, so we are not talking about modifying an embedded blob in the
> >> kernel image.

> >> I also don't understand what you mean by code execution. How does passing a
> >> device tree blob via kexec enables code execution? How can the signature
> >> scheme be defeated?
> >
> > I'm not an expert on DTB, so I can't provide an example of code
> > execution, but you have already mentioned the /chosen/linux,stdout-path
> > property. If an attacker redirects the bootloader to an insecure
> > console, they may get access to the system that would otherwise be
> > impossible.
>
> In this case, the user is sitting at the (or one of the) console(s) of
> the machine. There could be petitboot UIs running on the VGA display,
> IPMI serial over lan, local serial port. The logic behind setting
> /chosen/linux,stdout-path is (currently) mostly to set it for the kernel
> to what the user is interacting with. i.e. if you select an OS installer
> to boot from the VGA console, you get a graphical installer running and
> if you selected it from a text console, you get a text installer running
> (on the appropriate console).
>
> So the bootloader (petitboot) needs to work out which console is being
> interacted with in order to set up /chosen/linux,stdout-path correctly.
>
> This specific option could be passed as a kernel command line to the
> next kernel, yes. However, isn't the kernel command line also an attack
> vector? Is *every* command line option safe?

I don't think kernel command line is signed. And we will have to define
what is considered *unsafe*. I am working on the assumption that a
user should not be able to force execution of unsigned code at provileged
level. And passing console on kernel command line should be safe in
that respect?

Vivek