Re: [dm-devel] Page Allocation Failures/OOM with dm-crypt on software RAID10 (Intel Rapid Storage)

From: Matthias Dahl
Date: Wed Jul 13 2016 - 14:25:27 EST

Hello Ondrej...

On 2016-07-13 18:24, Ondrej Kozina wrote:

One step after another.

Sorry, it was not meant to be rude or anything... more frustration
since I cannot be of more help and I really would like to jump in
head-first and help fixing it... but lack the necessary insight into
the kernel internals. But who knows, I started reading Robert Love's
book... so, in a good decade or so. ;-))

https://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=146825178722612&w=2

Thanks for that link. I have to read those more closely tomorrow, since
there are some nice insights into dm-crypt there. :)

Still, you have to admit, it is also rather frustrating/scary if such
a crucial subsystem can have bugs over several major versions that do
result in complete hangs (and can thus cause corruption) and are quite
easily triggerable. It does not instill too much confidence that said
subsystem is so intensively used/tested after all. That's at least how
I feel about it...

So long,
Matthias

--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu
services: custom software [desktop, mobile, web], server administration