Re: v4.1 to v4.7: regression in tsc2005 driver

From: Peter Hutterer
Date: Thu Jul 21 2016 - 20:10:28 EST

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:54:21AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Thu 2016-07-21 16:42:41, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 08:32:34AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > Ok.. so out of the box, touchscreen is "upside down" and miscalibrated
> > > on n900. So I need to run
> > >
> > > xinput --set-prop --type=float 8 115 1.10 0.00 -0.05 0.00 1.18 -0.10 0.00 0.00 1.00
> > > xinput --set-prop --type=int 8 249 0 1
> > >
> > > (or equivalent with names) so that I can use the touchscreen. (And
> > > that's quite important -- X is somehow unusable without pointing
> > > device).
> > >
> > > If xinput is not the right solution, what is the right solution?
> >
> > if it's reliably miscalibrated (i.e. the numbers don't change), use an
> > xorg.conf snippet. If it needs some run-time changes add the hooks
>
> Does not change and is needed for all the N900's.
>
> Well. I guess xorg.conf snippet will do the trick, but that's hardly
> better.

it's a lot better than running xinput. with the config snippet have the
device ready to go at server startup, across VT switches, server restarts
and device unplugs. for something static, especially if it's custom hardware
like this shipping an xorg.conf file is always preferable over xinput
scripts

> Should x.org have internal database saying "Nokia N900 with tsc2005
> touchscreen means this calibration"?

we sort-of do have this, look at xserver/config/10-quirks.conf
problem is though that we'd need to match on the N900 too unless the tsc2005
is used nowhere else

> Should we have calibration info in the device tree, with kernel
> passing it to the x?
>
> Should kernel somehow do the calibration itself?

if the kernel knows about the calibration it would make more sense to just
do it in the kernel directly. but for anything even remotely run-time or
user-configured the xorg.conf snippet is the best solution.

Cheers,
Peter