Re: mm/compact: why use low watermark to determine whether compact is finished instead of use high watermark?

From: Vlastimil Babka
Date: Fri Jul 22 2016 - 05:04:28 EST

On 07/22/2016 10:56 AM, Xishi Qiu wrote:
Hi,

I find all the watermarks in mm/compaction.c are low_wmark_pages(),
so why not use high watermark to determine whether compact is finished?

Why would you use high watermark? Quite the opposite, I want to move towards min watermark (precisely, the one in alloc_flags which is usually min) in this series:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/6/24/222

especially:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/6/24/214

e.g.
__alloc_pages_nodemask()
get_page_from_freelist()
this is fast path, use use low_wmark_pages() in __zone_watermark_ok()

__alloc_pages_slowpath()
this is slow path, usually use min_wmark_pages()

Yes, and compaction should be finished when allocation can succeed, so match __alloc_pages_slowpath().

kswapd
balance_pgdat()
use high_wmark_pages() to determine whether zone is balanced

Thanks,
Xishi Qiu