[PATCH v5 00/15] allow BFLT executables on systems with a MMU
From: Nicolas Pitre
Date: Sun Jul 24 2016 - 11:32:00 EST
This series provides the necessary changes to allow "flat" executable
binaries meant for no-MMU systems to actually run on systems with a MMU.
Also thrown in are various cleanups to binfmt_flat.c.
This can also be found in the following git repo:
Because developing and testing natively on a large system with lots of
RAM makes it so much more convenient to use all the existing profiling
tools and debugging facilities that a kernel with lots of RAM can give.
And incidentally, those systems with lots of RAM all have a MMU.
*Why not use elf_fdpic?*
The flat executable format is simple with very small footprint
overhead, either in the executables themselves or kernel support.
This makes the flat format more suitable than elf_fdpic for very small
single user-app embedded systems.
And while elf_fdpic binaries can run on MMU systems, flat binaries still
couldn't, which just felt wrong.
So here it is. The no-MMU support should remain unaffected, confirmed by
Greg Ungerer. Tested with MMU on ARM and M68K.
Changes since v4:
- Isolated architecture specific changes in their own patches for easier
review through their own path to mainline.
- Added needed m68k register fixup from Greg Ungerer.
Changes since v3:
- Small cosmetic changes to pr_*().
- Addressed most important checkpatch complaints on the whole source file
and patches in this seris.
Changes since v2:
- Added protection against a corrupted header that could have caused nasty
overflows etc. Suggested by Alan Cox.
- printk() modernization. Suggested by Greg Ungerer / Geert Uytterhoeven.
- Added Greg Ungerer's reviewed-by tag.
Changes since v1:
- Removed SuperH and Xtensa from the Kconfig rule as they fail to build
due to lack of get/put_unaligned_user().
- Clarified some commit logs a bit.
arch/arm/include/asm/flat.h | 5 +-
arch/m68k/include/asm/flat.h | 11 +-
arch/m68k/include/asm/processor.h | 2 -
fs/Kconfig.binfmt | 3 +-
fs/binfmt_elf_fdpic.c | 38 +--
fs/binfmt_flat.c | 525 ++++++++++++++++++--------------
fs/exec.c | 33 ++
include/linux/binfmts.h | 2 +
8 files changed, 345 insertions(+), 274 deletions(-)