Aw: Re: staging: wilc1000: Reduce scope for a few variables in mac_ioctl()

From: Lino Sanfilippo
Date: Thu Jul 28 2016 - 07:46:26 EST

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Juli 2016 um 08:25 Uhr
> Von: "SF Markus Elfring" <elfring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >> - if (strncasecmp(buff, "RSSI", length) == 0) {
> >> + if (strncasecmp(buff, "RSSI", 0) == 0) {
> >> + s8 rssi;
> >> +
> >
> > Um, please think a second about if it makes any sense at all to compare
> > zero chars of two strings.
>
> Under which circumstances should the variable "length" contain an other
> value than zero?

Which circumstances do "not any sense at all" imply?

> How can this open issue be fixed better?

The code is not too complicated and I think it is very obvious which value/variable
should be passed instead of 0. I suggest to fix this since it is indeed a bug, instead of
doing "micro optimizations" - which is the last thing that code in the staging area
needs (as IIRC you have already been told by others, including the staging maintainer).

Regards,
Lino