Re: [GIT PULL] overlayfs update for 4.8

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jul 29 2016 - 15:27:05 EST

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First of all, this fixes a regression in overlayfs introduced by the dentry hash
> salting. I've moved the patch fixing this to the front of the queue, so if (god
> forbid) something needs to be bisected in overlayfs this regression won't
> interfere with that.

Thanks, I had missed that completely, and while I build overlayfs for
testing, I don't have any actual tests of it.

I decided to just remove the whole "lookup_hash()" helper again, not
only because it's now not longer used, but because it clearly isn't a
good interface with the hash of the name depending on the base
directory.

The lookup_hash() creation commit still reverted cleanly, so I just did that.

Thanks,

Linus