Re: [GIT PULL] KVM changes for 4.8 merge window

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Wed Aug 03 2016 - 02:46:07 EST

On 03/08/2016 05:21, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> - arch/powerpc: what a mess. For the idle_book3s.S conflict, the KVM
>> tree is the right one; everything else is trivial. In this case I am
>> not quite sure what went wrong. The commit that is causing the mess
>> (fd7bacbca47a, "KVM: PPC: Book3S HV: Fix TB corruption in guest exit
>> path on HMI interrupt", 2016-05-15) touches both arch/powerpc/kernel/
>> and arch/powerpc/kvm/. It's large, but at 396 insertions/5 deletions
>> I guessed that it wasn't really possible to split it and that the 5
>> deletions wouldn't conflict. That wasn't the case.
>
> In fact I think the problem is that this patch shouldn't have gone via the KVM
> tree at all.
>
> If you look at the diffstat, it doesn't touch anything in generic KVM, but lots
> of arch code:

The KVM tree merges all arch/*/kvm code from submaintainers. Only Radim
and I send patches directly to Linus.

Considering the h in "hmi" is for hypervisor, actual non-virt code in
that patch was this:

arch/powerpc/include/asm/paca.h | 6 +++
arch/powerpc/kernel/Makefile | 2 +-
arch/powerpc/kernel/exceptions-64s.S | 4 +-
arch/powerpc/kernel/idle_power7.S | 5 ++-
arch/powerpc/kernel/traps.c | 5 +++

So the changes are pretty small, yet apart from paca.h every file ended
up having a conflict with the PPC tree. So I think it's just very bad
luck in this case. Having this patch in a topic branch merged by both
PPC and KVM maintainers would have still been a good idea, because I
guess Paul knew of Ben's idle_power7.S cleanup.

Paolo