Re: perf test BPF failing on f24: fix

From: Wangnan (F)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2016 - 04:26:36 EST

Add Masami to Cc list. He knowns debug info.

Please see below...

On 2016/8/3 3:51, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
Hi Wang,

Something changed and a function used in a perf test for BPF is
not anymore appearing on vmlinux, albeit still available on
/proc/kallsyms:

# readelf -wi /lib/modules/4.7.0+/build/vmlinux | grep -w sys_epoll_wait
#

As I have said in another mail, although I don't know why,
I don't think the missing of sys_epoll_wait is the root cause
of your failure.

I did a bisect search and found commit 83460ec8dcac14142e7860a01fa59c267ac4657c:
"syscalls.h: use gcc alias instead of assembler aliases for syscalls"
After this commit, sys_xxx symbols is gone from output of 'readelf -wi'. It is
introduced in v3.13.

But:

[root@jouet ~]# grep -i sys_epoll_wait /proc/kallsyms
ffffffffbd295b50 T SyS_ep

oll_wait
ffffffffbd295b50 T sys_epoll_wait
[root@jouet ~]#

If we remove vmlinux, perf should use /proc/kallsyms. I think
the failure would gone. The problem is: when symbol searching
fail using vmlinux, should we fallback to kallsyms? However,
this is another question.

I noticed that it is some sort of aliasing so I checked the other
variant:

[root@jouet ~]# readelf -wi /lib/modules/4.7.0+/build/vmlinux | grep -w SyS_epoll_wait
<2bc9b85> DW_AT_name : (indirect string, offset: 0xe7524): SyS_epoll_wait
[root@jouet ~]#

Trying to use perf probe also produces the same resuls I notice when
running the perf test that is failing:

[root@jouet ~]# perf probe sys_epoll_wait
Failed to find debug information for address ffffffffbd295b50
Probe point 'sys_epoll_wait' not found.
Error: Failed to add events.
[root@jouet ~]# perf probe SyS_epoll_wait
Added new events:
probe:SyS_epoll_wait (on SyS_epoll_wait)
probe:SyS_epoll_wait_1 (on SyS_epoll_wait)
probe:SyS_epoll_wait_2 (on SyS_epoll_wait)

You can now use it in all perf tools, such as:

perf record -e probe:SyS_epoll_wait_2 -aR sleep 1

[root@jouet ~]#

So I am changing the BPF perf test to use the CamelCase notation alias:

Changing to SyS_xxx is okay, byt we still need to know the root
cause.

Thank you.