Re: [RFC v0 7/8] Input: ims-pcu: use firmware_stat instead of completion

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Wed Aug 03 2016 - 14:47:45 EST

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 05:55:40PM +0200, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 08:57:09AM +0200, Daniel Wagner wrote:
> > >
> > >No, I'm saying I'd like to hear valid uses cases for the usermode helper and so
> > >far I have only found using coccinelle grammar 2 explicit users, that's it. My
> > >patch series (not yet merge) then annotates these as valid as I've verified
> > >through their documentation they have some quirky requirement.
> >
> > I got that question wrong. It should read something like 'for the
> > remoteproc 100+MB there is no need for the user help?'.
>
> That's not a question for me but for those who say that the usermode helper
> is needed for remoteproc, so far from what folks are saying it seems the only
> reason for the usermodehelper was to try to avoid the deterministic issue,
> but I suggested a way to resolve that without the usermode helper now so
> would be curious to hear if there are any more reasons for it.
>
> > I've gone
> > through your patches and they make perfectly sense too. Maybe I can
> > convince you to take a better version of my patch 3 into your queue.
> > And I help you converting the exiting drivers. Obviously if you like
> > my help at all.
>
> I accept all help and would be glad to make enhancements instead of
> the old API through new API. The biggest thing here first I think is
> adding devm support, that I think should address what seemed to be
> the need to add more code for a transformation into the API. I'd
> personally only want to add that and be done with an introduction
> of the sysdata API. Further changes IMHO are best done atomically
> after that on top of it, but I'm happy to queue in the changes.
>
> > >Other than these two drivers I'd like hear to valid requirements for it.
> > >
> > >The existential issue is a real issue but it does not look impossible to
> > >resolve. It may be a solution to bloat up the kernel with 100+ MB size just to
> > >stuff built-in firmware to avoid this issue, but it does not mean a solution
> > >is not possible.
> > >
> > >Remind me -- why can remoteproc not stuff the firmware in initramfs ?
> >
> > I don't know. I was just bringing it up with the hope that Bjorn
> > will defend it. It seems my tactics didn't work out :)
>
> OK.
>
> > >Anyway, here's a simple suggestion: fs/exec.c gets a sentinel file monitor
> > >support per enum kernel_read_file_id. For instance we'd have one for
> > >READING_FIRMWARE, one for READING_KEXEC_IMAGE, perhaps READING_POLICY, and this
> > >would in turn be used as the system configurable deterministic file for
> > >which to wait for to be present before enabling each enum kernel_read_file_id
> > >type read.
> > >
> > >Thoughts ?
> >
> > Not sure if I get you here correctly. Is the 'system configurable
> > deterministic file' is a knob which controlled by user space? Or it
> > this something you define at compile time?
>
> I meant at compile time on the kernel. So CONFIG_READ_READY_SENTINEL
> or something like this, and it be a string, which if set then when
> [...]

A file sentinel would implicate a file namespace thing being used on the
filesystem -- to me this just means the Linux distribution / system integrator
would add this per filesystem, but agree this is pretty hacky. Furthermore
we'd wait forever if the Linux distribution / system integrator forgot to set
the sentinel file. That's not good. To avoid that a generic "root fs ready"
event could be sent from userspace to know when to clear stale reads... but if
that's going to be done best just replace all sentintels with a simple "root fs
ready" which would mean all reads from the kernel are ready. If we wanted
further granularity I suppose we could further have one event per enum
kernel_read_file_id, and a generic all-is-ready one.

To start off with then a simple event from userspace should suffice. But do keep
in mind that granularity might help given that a big iron system might have some
large array of disks to mount during bootup and that may take a long while, and
you likely want to read /lib/firmware way before that filesystem is ready.

Not sure if granularity fixated by enum kernel_read_file_id should suffice,
perhaps given its also enough for LSMs...

This indeed would mean a kernelspace and userspace change, but it would mean
not having to deal with the usermode helper crap anymore.

Anyway -- these are just ideas, patches welcomed !

Luis